In your 30s, your skin may look healthy but collagen fibers have begun breaking down and cell production becomes slower. Environmental damage from sunlight, pollution and smoke get into the dermis, the skin layer between the outermost and innermost layers. Your first wrinkles and sun damage start to appear.
Skin Care Regimen for 30s
In addtion to basic skin care regimen, here are things you should add to your regimen when you are in your 30s.
- Use a complete skin care system- removing makeup, cleansing, toning and moisturizing.
- Start incorporating anti-aging skin care products. Antioxidants, topical vitamin A, and AHAs are excellent anti-aging ingredients.
Antioxidants fight damages from pollution and sun’s rays. Vitamin C, one of antioxidants, can also fade dark spots and help produce skin’s collagen.
Topical vitamin A such as retinoids and retinol can reduce brown spots and wrinkles. Retinoids are sold in prescriptive creams while retinol is over-the-counter creams.
AHAs help generate collagen, smooth wrinkles, and even out your complexion.
- Consider a serum. As environmental damages can get into the dermis, you need more powerful tools to deal with the damages. Serum delivers highly concentrated antioxidants and other beneficial ingredients and can penetrate deeper into the skin than regular moisturizers.
- Add an eye cream to your skin care regimen to prevent and reduce fine lines, wrinkles, dark circles, and puffiness. Choose a light cream if you have dry skin. Choose a cooling gel if you have oily skin.
- Apply sunscreen every morning. Apply sunscreen with SPF 15 and above. Apply sunscreen 15-30 minutes before you go out in the sun.
- Exfoliate your skin once or twice a week to remove dead skin cells and clean your pores. Be disciplined with exfoliation as at this age, cell turnover begins to slow down, making your skin dull and uneven. Use exfoliating peels that contain AHAs such as glycolic acid to remove skin’s outer layers.
Skin Care Tips for 30s
– Drink plenty of water. Water hydrates your skin and flush out the toxins from the body.
– Take vitamins & supplements. Fish oil supplement contains omega-3 fatty acids that prevent sagging skin and dehydration. Antioxidant vitamins help fight free radicals from the inside of your body.
– Don’t overuse anti-aging products. Excessive application can irritate your skin.
– Avoid the sun. UV rays can cause wrinkles, age spots, skin dullness, and skin cancer.
– Quit smoking. Smoking speeds up the aging process.