Oily Skin Home Remedies
Oily skin can lead to problems such as enlarged pores, blackheads, whiteheads, and even more severe acne. Even though home remedies for oily skin cannot reduce the level of oil production, they help remove excessive oils and the buildup of dead skin cells, both of which are the main causes of the problems above. Use a homemade mask and a scrub once or twice a week. Don’t overdo the masks and scrubs as doing so triggers sebaceous glands to produce more oils.
Homemade Masks for Oily Skin
Homemade masks for oily skin help clean your pores and make your complexion look less shiny.
– Yogurt mask: Mix one teaspoon of brewer’s yeast powder and plain yogurt. Clean your face and apply the mask to oily areas. Leave on for 15 minutes. Then rinse off with warm water. Plain yogurt alone can also do an excellent job. Lactic acid in yogurt helps get rid of dead skin cells by dissolving the glue between skin surface and the cells.
– Lemon & egg white mask: Mix 1/2 teaspoon of honey (or cucumber puree), one egg white, and one teaspoon of lemon juice. Apply the mixture onto your skin and leave on for 15-20 minutes. Lemon juice is a powerful cleansing agent. You can also mix 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon of water. Pat the mixture on your face and let it dry. Rinse off with warm water and moisturize your skin. The latter mask can be used once a day.
– Clay mask: Mix one teaspoon of green clay powder with one tablespoon of honey to make a paste. Apply the mask to your face. Leave for 15 minutes and rinse off thoroughly.
– Grape mask: Mix one teaspoon grape juice, one teaspoon lemon and one egg white. Apply the mask on your face and leave on for 20 minutes. Then rinse off. Grapes will soften your skin and egg white will tighten it.
Homemade Scrubs for Oily Skin
Homemade scrubs help remove dead skin cells and dirt from your skin and reveal new, healthy skin.
– Tea tree oil scrub: Mix one tablespoon of tea tree oil and one teaspoon of salt. Scrub the mixture on your face for few minutes. Then leave on for 10 minutes and wash off with cold water. Tea tree oil has antibacterial properties. It helps balance out oily skin and get rid of blackheads, whiteheads and other acne. The salt exfoliates the skin.
– Sea salt scrub: Mix one tablespoon of almond oil, one teaspoon of sea salt, and one teaspoon of lemon juice. Apply the paste to your face and gently scrub for few minutes. Then rinse off with warm water.