Lip wrinkles are one of the first signs of aging on your face as the lips are an extremely delicate. Deep and numerous lines can be very aging. Wrinkles on lips can be very difficult to get rid of so start taking good care of your lips as early as possible to avoid lip wrinkles.
What Causes Lip Wrinkles?
- Aging: Like facial wrinkles and wrinkles under eyes, lip wrinkles are a natural part of the aging process. As we age, the collagen production declines. Skin and Lips become thinner and wrinkles develop.
- Dry or chapped lips: Levels of oil and water in dry lips are low, making the lips lose their elasticity easily. In addition, wrinkles are also more noticeable in dry skin than other healthy, hydrated skin.
- Sun exposure: Too much sun exposure can dehydrate your skin and lips. Sun’s rays also destroy natural collagen, causing wrinkles to appear on your lips. Exposure to the sun also causes dark lips.
- Facial movement around lips: Puckering the lips around a cigarette and drinking from a straw or water bottle cause a fold to occur on the lips and around the lips.
- Smoking: Smoking can speed up the normal aging process of your skin by increasing free radicals that damage the skin. Smoke and nicotine also dehydrate the skin.
Lip Wrinkle Treatment
- Apply anti-aging lip balms: A lip balm such as Olay Regenerist Lip Anti-Aging Concentrate or Dermalogica Age Smart Lip Renewal Complex can diminishes the appearance of vertical lines on the lips and around the lips.
- Get wrinkle-filler Injections: Injections of Botox, collagen or even your own fat can temporarily restore the plump and remove lip wrinkles.
Lip Wrinkle Prevention
– Moisturize your lips to prevent lips from becoming chapped or dry. Moisturizers also minimize the appearance of lines on the lips. Use a lip balm or petroleum jelly on your dry lips.
– Protect your lip from sun’s ray. When you go out in the sun, use a lip balm with SPF 15 or above.
– Exfoliate your lips to remove the buildup of dead skin cells on your lips that can lead to dull lips and make wrinkles look more noticeable. Rub your lips with a clean toothbrush or with a lip scrub in circular motions for a few minutes. Then rinse the lips with warm water and apply a lip balm.
– Drink lots of water to prevent lips from dehydrating. Hydrated skin is less likely to develop wrinkles.
– Avoid excessive facial movement.
– Stay out of the sun.